Welcome Service for international researchers
Information and support on all non-academic topics
The Welcome Service of Universität Hamburg supports international researchers - including doctoral candidates – staying at Universität Hamburg for at least one month.
We offer information, advice and individualized assistance on all topics that are important for preparing your stay and life in Hamburg - from entry, health insurance, apartment search and necessary administrative procedures to finding suitable childcare.
The Welcome Service will be happy to answer any questions you may have about your stay in Hamburg.
Please sign up for our services via the registration form so that we can provide you with the best possible support.
Hosting institutions and individuals are welcome to contact us via e-mail:
Range of services:
- To-Do checklists planning of stay, during your stay
- Support in finding accommodation
- Residence regulations
- Health insurance & health care
- Administrative procedures (in general, especially residence registration matters, no escort!)
- Banking / Opening an account
- Child care & school
- Taxes, pension, relevant insurances (liability insurance, household contents insurance)
- Mobility (public transport, car, bicycle)
- Mobile telephony & Internet
- German courses
- Orientation help with regard to local and country-specific structures, procedures and customs
- References to topic-related contact points / advice centers in the university & city
- Events (informative e.g. on taxes, as well as social-integrative)
- Presence at events (university's own events, third party events) if relevant
- Culture & Sports
- Counseling in difficult life situations
- Career counseling in the sense of referrals & cooperation with relevant agencies
- Activities for children
- Information on other day-to-day matters (gastronomy, clothing and furniture procurement, etc.)
- Departure service (departure formalities, checklist to-do)
Phone: +49 40 42838-4152